Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cinema Memoir #32

Mac and Me (August 12th, 1988)

. . . or E.T. on Coke and McDonald's.

I'm embarrassed to say that I liked this movie when I saw it. I suppose I'm a sucker for terrible movie ripoff's. Then again, I was only 8 years old.

This movie was a marketing nightmare. I highly recommend watching it if you want to learn how not to market a movie.

"Mac" actually stood for "Mysterious Alien Creature". Apparently they were intending to make a sequel, because there's a title card at the end of the movie that said "We'll Be Back!" I wonder why they never did. I've waited 20 years and have yet to be revisited by another Mysterious Alien Creature.

Oh well, I suppose it's for the best.

(Image from impawards.com)

1 comment:

DCP said...

This was the first movie I ever hated. When I was a kid I loved every movie, because we had to drive like 30 miles to a movie theater and my parents wouldn't let us rent movies that often, but Mac And Me was the first movie in the theater I remember disliking.