Friday, January 23, 2009

Digital Painting

Here are a few more digital paintings. These two were Christmas gifts for family members in 2007. Both were done using Corel Painter X and a Wacom tablet.

This digital painting is of the nativity scene. I used
reference from the film The Nativity Story.

For this digital painting of John Wayne I wanted
to pay tribute to Drew Struzan's awesome style.
He's one of my all time favorite painters.
Check out the link to his page in my links section.

____________________________________________

UPDATE - 12/30/11

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and support of my work of the past few years, particularly the Digital Painting of the Nativity. As mentioned in the post, I painted it as a Christmas gift for my Grandmother who was in hospice at the time. Not long after that she passed away. That was 3 years ago and as far as I know it still sits in the hospice room where she died, hopefully giving comfort to others… especially during the holidays. A somewhat bitter-sweet story, but I couldn’t think of a better place for that picture to be.

Unfortunately, with all good there is also bad. Since I’ve posted this image it seems to have made its rounds on the internet. After a detailed search I’ve discovered some folks are using it for profitable reasons, and because of that I’ve decided to take the image down for the time being. If you’re familiar with my blog, you’ll know this isn’t the first time this has happened. The same also goes for all my other art. They will eventually be replaced with watermarked versions, hopefully to discourage folks from using them without permission.

That said, I would like to thank EVERYONE who actually went the ethical route and ASKED me BEFORE using this image. Unfortunately, since it’s caused so many problems, from this point on I will not be granting permission for anyone to use this painting in any form… other than for your own critique via my blog of course.

Thanks for understanding.

Matt

Copyright © 2009 Matthew J Killian All Rights Reserved
The images and content in this post are protected

13 comments:

Brendan Carroll said...

These are just amazing!

I'm sure they were speechless when they got these paintings as gifts.

Matthew J Killian said...

Thanks Brendan.

Yeah, but you know parents...they're speechless over macaroni art.

Liron Topaz said...

The lighting on the top one is really nice. I like the materials of the fabric, really feels soft.

Carla said...

Magnificent! Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us. Kudos! God bless you! And yes, we parents are speechless over macaroni art. *grin*

DeLyn said...

Matt,
Your nativity digital painting is spectacular. I certainly hope you consider having it printed as Christmas cards. This painting is so very tender and special that more people should enjoy it's beauty.
Sincerely,
DeLyn

Siva Dharma said...

just awesome......!!!!!

Jenny P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny P. said...

Matthew, why is the nativity painting photo/link missing? It is absolutely amazing. Any way I can buy a print of that?

Matthew J Killian said...

Thanks Jenny P. Not sure why the link isn't working. Sorry, can't sell these, as the reference image is copyrighted. This is just personal work and for practice. I know it sounds lame, but what can I say...

Site Admin said...

Dear Matt,

Beautiful digital painting of the nativity scene. We would like to use the image (via url link) in an article on our church website. www.gbcmandaue.com

Thank you very much.

Grace Baptist Church Mandaue
Cebu, Philippines

via MotionCraftDesign

Matthew J Killian said...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and support of my work over the past few years, particularly the Digital Painting of the Nativity. As mentioned in the post, I painted it as a Christmas gift for my Grandmother who was in hospice at the time. Not long after that she passed away. That was 3 years ago and as far as I know it still sits in the hospice room where she died, hopefully giving comfort to others… especially during the holidays. A somewhat bitter-sweet story, but I can't think of a better conclusion.

Unfortunately, with all good there is also bad. Since I’ve posted this image it seems to have made its rounds on the internet. After a detailed search I’ve discovered some folks are using it for profitable reasons, and because of that I’ve decided to take the image down for the time being. If you’re familiar with my blog, you’ll know this isn’t the first time this has happened. The same also goes for all my other art. They will eventually be replaced with watermarked versions, hopefully to discourage folks from using them without permission.

That said, I would like to thank EVERYONE who actually went the ethical route and ASKED me BEFORE using this image, as well as the folks who DID use it and linked to it from my actual blog. Unfortunately, since it’s caused so many problems, from this point on I will not be granting permission for anyone to use this painting in any form… other than for your own critique via my blog of course.

Thanks for understanding.

Matt

Tracey said...

I understand your issues with the nativity painting, but I'm disappointed! I just "found" it online, and it's beautiful. I'm a home birth midwife and was looking for beautiful prints to purchase for my office/guestroom... You created a lovely picture :-) Tracey

Village Talkies said...

This post is really amazing
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.