Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cinema Memoir #51

Arachnophobia (July 18th, 1990)

Eight Legs.
Two Fangs.
And an Attitude.

A fairly cool movie in 1990 . . . not so cool in 2010. Unfortunately this movie hasn't aged very well.

It's an interesting idea, but in the end makes very little sense to me. How is it they managed to kill all the deadly spiders, keeping them from spreading across the countryside? I know Jeff Daniels kills the general with the nail gun in the wine cellar, but killing the main spider isn't like killing the head vampire, they don't all turn good afterwards. Even at 10 the movie felt kind of unresolved.

Here's the trailer. It's funny how they seemed to market this movie more as a comedy when it comes across more as horror. I was certainly creeped out. One thing this movie sure did right was give me a terrible case arachnophobia. It did for me what Jaws did for so many people when faced with going swimming. I still hate spiders. I don't hate this movie, but I probably won't be watching any time soon.

(Image from impawards.com)

No comments: